Hi, Friend!

I would be very grateful if you would share this blog by using AddThis!

Share |

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Nannie's Sunday Lemon Cake Gone Orange

My Nannie was my muse in the kitchen, as well as, in my life. She taught me how to cook, among a ton of other things. I often spent the night with her on the weekend and she would let me play dress up with her beautiful costume jewelry and gorgeous clothes and shoes. Each year we always watched the Miss America pageant together. One of the most delicious things she taught me was how to make her special lemon cake which she would bake for us when we came to visit. We came to visit often...every Sunday. And, I still make her lemon cake to this very day. But, today Nannie's Sunday Lemon Cake has gone orange. Nannie would be happy...because I could never do anything wrong in Nannie's eyes. I miss her.











How to make Nannie's Sunday Lemon Cake Gone Orange (Lemon Cake in Parentheses):
Ingredients:
1 package Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix (Lemon Cake Mix)
1 teaspoon orange extract (lemon extract)
4 eggs
1 small Orange Jello Gelatin (Lemon Jello Gelatin)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
1 cup Confectioner's sugar
1 orange zested and juiced (lemon zested and juiced)
Directions:
Mix cake mix, extract, eggs, Jello gelatin, oil, and buttermilk in large mixing bowl. Pour into an 8x8 inch pan (Nannie always used a 9x13, your call) which has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Right before the cake is done, mix the Confectioner's sugar and zest and juice (zest first or you'll be sorry) of orange (lemon) in a medium bowl. When the cake has finished baking and is still hot, poke holes in the cake with a fork tine. Then pour frosting over the top of the cake and let it seep through.

No comments: