I have this wonderful mac and cheese recipe by CarnieWilson that I got from an article years ago and have turned into my own. It's one of those bake in the oven mac & cheeses and believe me it is out of this world! Makes a lot, so plan to feed a crowd or freeze in smaller containers. Also, plan on a trip to the store to purchase all those 7 magnificent cheeses...don't wimp out on them either! Rich, creamy, and so good you will even eat it for breakfast...
How to make Carnie Wilson's Mac & Cheese:
3 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, the big kind
1 1/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/3 cup half and half
2/3 cup sour cream
4 oz cream cheese
3 T flour
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon each cayenne, nutmeg, and black pepper
12 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
8 oz Vermont cheddar cheese,cubed
10 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 cups Jack and cheddar cheese, shredded
Chives and Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°, grease a 13x9 inch dish with butter.
2. Pour cooked pasta into the prepared dish.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, half and half, and sour cream. Break the cream cheese into pieces and add to bowl. Add egg, flour, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and dry mustard along with cayenne, nutmeg, and black pepper. Whisk together, will be lumpy. Set aside.
4. Starting at corners of pasta shove the cubes of Velveeta and Gruyere into the pasta working toward middle.
5. Pour cream mixture into pasta and shake to distribute evenly.
6. Sprinkle Jack and Cheddar over the pasta.
7. Sprinkle with the paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
8. Sprinkle with chives and Parmesean for garnish.